Homily. Easter 2014.
- Easter, more than any other feast tells us that God has definitively the last word in all things…. And that word is a profoundly positive and definitive “YES” - first and foremost, a YES to his beloved son…Jesus Christ. Who is God the son…. . and all that he did and taught in his ministry… and a profound and absolute YES to life…., and to us, as his eternally cherished sons and daughters… Yes to forgiveness of sin for all who are bowed down by the past…. Yes to faithfulness no matter what trials and tragedies befall us in life…….>
- Easter… and the message of the Resurrection is about life, hope, love, forgiveness…
- The irony of the cross and the message of today’s wonderful feast…. Means that it is rather fitting on this Easter celebration to hark back to something I mentioned right at the start of Lent … on ash Wednesday… the beginning of our journey towards this moment…... For I believe that Easter could be summed up by the rather intriguing saying … “The only things that we truly possess, that have abiding and eternal value… are the things we gain by giving them away… the only things worth possessing are the things that only make sense when given…. Which achieve very little if merely stored up….… things like love, (given freely without expectation), kindness and forgiveness, (without expectation of return)…. acts of charity, (not for recognition or approval); random acts of kindness, (that no one will ever know who is responsible for them)/…/ I read a maxim once upholding that there is an odd economic principle associated with love -- the more love you give away, the more love you have. It defies all other economic principles. Our Lord Jesus, in his life, his suffering and death, and his resurrection… is the perfect example of all these wonderful qualities… and even more wonderfully, he invites us all to share in this way of living….
- This Easter, is a special time for giving thanks for and remembering and hopefully getting opportunities to share time with family and friends…
- And Easter is also about reminding us that our God is the God of New starts… and new beginnings…..
- We also remember prayerfully, all those who have gone before us.. the Resurrection gives us peace in the belief that the lord of the resurrection is faithful to his children.. and raises them up to new and eternal life in heaven… where one day we will all be reunited in joy…
- At Easter, we think of people who are struggling.., and those who feel hopeless. ….and also those who feel they will never be good enough, or worthy enough… and those who fear they can never be forgiven… For today’s feast says… YES>>>> God is with us, God will never abandon us… God truly does want to renew us and give us new hope .. new life… and indescrible mercy….
- Jesus is an unequivocal “yes” to self-sacrifice and service, and love, compassion, mercy and generosity of spirit… of thinking more of others and less of ourselves… - May God bless us and renew us in his astounding love… and ever-abiding faithfulness… and eternal care… and may our lives be more and more marked by these wonderful qualities with every new day…..
· FR. PAUL W. KELLY
P Save a tree. Don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary
How to keep up-to-date with parish news.
Have you signed up to receive the various St Mary’s, Maryborough Parish emails? A fast way of keeping up-to-date
For more info, please visit: http://stmaryextras.blogspot.com/2011/08/have-you-signed-up-to-receive-various.html